tl;dr scroll down for my top NYC recommendations :)
I moved to Manhattan three years ago after "conquering" three popular US cities on my own money, yet "making it" in New York City was by far the hardest. Not only does this city whip your personal finances into shape - budgeting is ESSENTIAL - but there are so many options that it's hard to know where to go for simple errands, quality shopping, or indulgent self-care. After three years, I finally figured out my favorite spots to confidently call Manhattan my home. So to help out my New York City neighbors (or visiting tourists!), here are my insider recommendations for everything you might want in NYC.
- Facials/Estheticians: Skin By Brooks; I've also tried and loved Silver Mirror with Taylor and HeyDay with Liana C, but ultimately felt like Skin By Brooks was the best investment.
- Asian Beauty Retail Shopping: oo35mm; LOVUE; Peach & Lily brick-and-mortar stand at Macy's in Flushing. Also look out for incredible sample sales and fun pop-up events, including Peach & Lily's annual sample sale around the end of August.
- Beauty Retail Shopping: SpaceNK; Sephora; Ulta mainly for the IT Cosmetics for Ulta brushes; Barneys but only during the Love Yourself Event; Harmon Discount. Although I haven't visited yet, I've been dying to visit clean beauty store credo and making an hour-long appointment for a Clean Beauty Swap.
- Nap Time [yes, you read that correctly - nap time!]: The Dreamery by Casper.
- Massages: easeNY; Lee89; Renewing Spa looks sketch but is sooo good and a great deal.
- Hair: Shampoo Ave B with Raquel or Samantha.
- Eyelashes: Gigi Japanese Eyelash Perm.
- Nails: Bisou.
- Waxing: European Wax Center with Ronnie.
- Laser: Satori Laser.
- Korean Spa: SojoSpa; Premiere57 - and check groupon!
- Boxing: Women's World of Boxing.
- Spinning: Cyc Fitness with John, Tom, Aaron, or Dylan.
- Muay Thai: HitHouse
- Pilates: New York Pilates
- Yoga: Y7 Yoga; Humming Puppy; Laughing Lotus; CorePowerYoga; Woom Center.
- Barre: Pop Physique.
LIFESTYLE & OTHER:
- Clothing: Cuyana; Sezane; Everlane; ADAY; Marine Layer; Outdoor Voices.
- Home Inspo: Parachute; Apartment by the Line; Flying Tiger.
- Stationery: Goods for the Study; MUJI.
- Books: Albertine; Strand; McNally Jackson Books; Housing Works; New York Public Library bc obvi.
- Plants: Plant Shed; Joy's Flower Pot; Sprout Home; The Sill; anywhere on 28th for wholesale plants! I've also been dying to check out the Urban Garden. For bouquets, I've purchased a gorgeous arrangement from 106 Flower Shop as a walk-in and the price was incredible.
- Tea: Te; 29B Teahouse; Ippodo.
- Bubble Tea: Gong Cha.
- Morning Spot: Daily Provisions.
- Dessert: MeetFresh, Milk Bar, Chloe's Fruit.